Inexpensive, responsibly developed, available energy resources should be the goal and concern for future generations.

As global statistics show, China is the worst emitter at 25% of global emissions, while Canada contributes less than 2%. The USA contributes 15%. India is included with those emitting 21%.

But our government’s industry-paralyzing regulations would make you think that Canada must be responsible for half of the world’s carbon emissions.

Really, folks, it is not so.

China generates 70% of its energy from coal, the other 30% from petroleum, LNG, hydro, solar, and wind.

China’s 2021 climate pledge agreement asserts that its energy consumption would continue to increase — that’s right, increase — steadily to 2030, meaning it will continue to increase its carbon emissions up to 2030.

That’s a slap in the face, of course, to the likes of Canada and Mr. Trudeau. But at least China’s frank about it.

And at an $18.2 trillion GDP, China is not allowing anyone to curtail its growing economy and has made a lip service agreement to reach zero emissions by 2060, when China expects to reach super-power status.

A pie-in-the-sky promise if ever there were one.

Canada has the third-largest oil reserves in the world. We have 171 billion barrels, as well as 1,373 trillion cubic feet of natural gas resources.

And our energy sector develops our resources responsibly.

Why isn’t the government supporting and defending it, instead of erecting road blocks to disrupt it?

Thanks to its energy development, Alberta has been the largest contributor of transfer payments to the federal government, contributing each year from $15–27 billion to the rest of the country.

The International Energy Agency’s World Energy Outlook 2018 projects total global energy demand will rise 25% above 2017 levels by 2040. Combined oil and natural gas will account for 53% of that demand.

With Bills C-48 and -69, and by phasing out natural gas by 2035, we will see less energy development and less investment in our land. Investors will be forced to look elsewhere for energy projects — although you’d have to think that, say, China and the USA would come looking to buy up our resources and energy development sector.

Canada should be a front runner, never a back bencher.

It’s difficult to watch European nations enter a bleak winter with high energy costs and possible blackouts, when we could have developed our resources and made wise, ethical business deals — and in doing so provided comfort to millions and reduced despair.

Globally almost 1.7 million people die of cold. Our government’s attitude and policies are absurd in the face of such facts.

A People’s Party government would

• repeal Bills C-48 and -69, making it attractive for companies to invest in and develop our energy sector

• improve and streamline the approval process for pipeline projects

• encourage the safe and efficient transport of oil and gas to refinery and end user

• build a robust economy and maintain energy security for Canada while exporting excess energy to the world

It’s time to get to work.


This short policy article is brought to you by the Media & Communications Team of your local PPC Association. Please feel free to respond with any feedback. We’d love to hear from you.

Leave a Reply